Friday, January 23, 2009

last few days

the last few days have been varied but fun, yesterday I went up to Sydney to get my hair cut, you may ask why I go all that way for a hair cut well, David has been doing my hair for just on 30 years and I always catch up with different friends either side of the appointment for morning tea then lunch and with the way the heats been it's great to have gone really short again.
Mackenzie and I reluctantly cleaned out his room the other day and as any of you that have teenage sons know that they are not a place to enter un prepared......... but we survived - just
I finally was able to get my embellishing machine out again for a bit of a play,
It had been to long, so I just started off laying different bit of old scarves and bits of organza and gauze on to a piece of commercial felt to re acquaint myself with how they all perform then laid down some yarns and wool tops, it was interesting to see the turquoise metallic yarn start to disintegrate in places.
I don't know whether to just keep this as an example or to maybe bead it and mount it on a canvas, what do you think?



I was on a roll so on this lovely silk scarf that I'd picked up at the Op Shop for a couple of dollars I experimented.
I had a "Sensational Silk" play pack that we sell at the quilt shows on the Unique Stitching stand, that I decided needed to go on the scarf, I used a silk hankie, throwsters waste, silk rods, seracin fibre and cocoons.
I was very happy with how it turned out, I may still run the rest of the scarf through the embellisher in spots to distort it in patches.



here's a close up of one end



I just had to have this book, "Secrets of Rusty Things" Transforming Found Objects into Art by Michael de Meng, right up my alley this one, I discovered that he is one of the artists feature in the other book to, so double bonus, I just want to stop everything and read it but it will unfortunately have to wait a while for my full attention.



Living the Creative Life was being talked about on the Quilt Art list recently, the author talks to 15 artists to find out why and how they create, so I went searching and decided I had to have it, it fit's nicely into my bag so it was great to loose myself in it on the train trip up to Sydney yesterday, with my Ipod on I was able to drown out most of the other passenger noises, so with inspirational scenery, ocean on one side, escarpment on the other and the national park, a great way to top and tail my trip.



now back to some boring paper work that HAS to be done before I can do anything else today

No comments: