Monday, August 27, 2007

A Valuable Lesson

On Saturday I got stuck in and made a batch of silk paper as I wanted to make some bowls to send to my niece as her new shop "Blue Attic" opens on Sept 1st and also I needed a piece for a class sample to be put in a frame, so I set up my production line and got stuck in, I make 4 pieces at a time and made two batches.
When I brought them in and peeled the tuel off I discovered that 2 pieces weren't quiet dry so I thought I'd see if a quick zap in the microwave would help, well people dye and stuff in the microwave so why not a quick zap, well I learnt a very valuable lesson - if you have Angelina fibre in your silk paper - DON'T PUT IT IN THE MICROWAVE, let me just say there were flames, luckily I was ready and stopped it after 3 secs and no damage was sustained by the microwave.

So here are the pieces that I made for the bowls, not the best of photos but the batteries died as I took these 2 so wasn't able to take more as I had to get stuck into making the bowls.


This is the piece that I tried to destroy, it doesn't really show up but in the lower half it has fine brown burn lines running across it, I new not to put the metallic Angelina in the microwave but I thought the others would have been OK.

One wonders what this stuff is really made of????????

1 comment:

Nola said...

Life is full of these intense learning moments....

Love the papers, and they'll look terrific in bowls!

Hope you are feeling better now?