Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cactus Flower

we have a lot of unusual cacti and succulents around our garden and on our back veranda we have this unusual plant that we've never really know what it is.
It has strange shoots that come off the sides of the leaves.

I took the dog out for a midnight pee a few nights ago and was greeted by this glorious flower, it wasn't there earlier in the day and I didn't even notice it earlier in the evening when I fed the dog directly below it.

so if I hadn't gone out at midnight all I would have seen the next morning was the morning remnants as it only flowers for a very short time in the dead of night.
Isn't it glorious.

I'm so glad I bought the cacti book, it is an Epiphyllum

3 comments:

Ozjane said...

I had one like that a while back.
The plant was one of Mum's and I just love how the glorious flower suddenly appears.

Janine Matthews said...

yes Jane a lot of these unusual plants seem to come down through the family, most of ours have.
thanks for looking at my blog

Lindi said...

My Grandmother had one. We called it a Moonflower. I've only ever seen hers.