Saturday, October 10, 2009

Felting day

a few weeks ago I did a felting workshop with Anita Larkin
http://www.anitalarkin.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=19686&Akey=7MYMJXAN
who is a fabulous felt maker and also does Assemblage sculpture like I do, so I was doubly excited about the day.
We started off the day making a piece that was joined with the other ladies pieces so we could see how to make larger pieces if we needed to, the large piece was rolled up in a bamboo blind then in canvas, then was rolled with our feet and stomped on in the traditional way that Anita had learnt in (I think) Kirghistan? as if we were making panels to go on a Yurt, the only difference was we didn't have a camel or horse to drag it behind around the paddock.
Our pieces were then cut apart so that is why there is some purple and light blue on to sides of this piece.

In the afternoon we made a resist bag, that means we had a cut out shape inside to stop the two sides felting together, here is the back side of the bag with the flap open.

here it is from the from with the flap down, I will eventually make a strap and bead a catch.

I had always been hesitant about trying wet felting as I wasn't sure if my back and shoulder could cope, but it didn't cause me to much pain, so now I feel I may be able to do other workshops in the future.

No comments: